Sunday, October 9, 2011

Things I have Learned

Seven years ago in San Diego, CA
Today in Houston, TXI do not count this as breaking my "tech free" weekend, as I am simply journaling certain events in my life and then posting them. Excuses, excuses! I just had a few words to write. Yesterday, Christian and I celebrated our 7 year wedding anniversary. We went out to an amazingly delicious dinner and dessert, and hung out with some great friends as well. Here are a few things that I have learned from 7 years of marriage.
1. You don't always get what you want...but somehow, it works its way out.
2. Two is better than one when it comes to raising children. Especially OUR children. We were joking the other day that if we were ever to get divorced, no one would ever love our children the way we do because they are SO HARD to handle sometimes.
3. Late night massages can make all things seem better.
4. Life is hard...like, REALLY hard. And sometimes it seems like there is no way that marriage will last. BUT, there is always hope if you choose to have it. And things CAN get better.
5. It's nice to always have a date when you need one. I HATED that part of being single!
6. I have a husband that would do ANYTHING for me. If I am thirsty at 3 am (like I was last night) he will get up and get me a drink. If my neck has a pinched nerve (like I had last night), he will massage it until I tell him to stop. If the kids wake up in the middle of the night, he always goes to comfort them so that I can sleep more. And, he is trying hard to improve things every day.

Just like every marriage, we have had our share of problems. I won't act like everything has been perfect, because it has been far from that. Sometimes we fight. We don't agree on things a lot of the time. Sometimes we do or say things that we shouldn't. And I have not been the best of wives lately either. That being said, we have been through so much together. We have been through 6 moves in 7 years, sick children, hospital visits, illnesses, vacations, times of prosperity, and times of hardship. We have seen each other at our very best and our very worst. But, we are still together and are still learning from past mistakes and problems. These past 7 years have not been perfect, but we have had many moments of great joy like when our children were born. And there is no one else that I can ever share those moments with.

Happy Anniversary Christian! Our good friends, Tressie and Jon. Thanks for treating us to cheesecake!
My beautiful and equally delicious dinner!

2 comments: