Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Grand Canyon post




Back in August, we had our big family vacation. I already posted about our vegas and Lake Powell leg of the trip, but I never posted about the grand canyon. So, here it is. After we left the house boat at Lake Powell, we drove over to the grand canyon. I had not been there since I was a kid, and I was able to enjoy it and appreciate it much more this time around. No, we did not camp (for those of you who know me, I pretty much hate camping) but we stayed at a hotel in a Tusayan on the south rim. It was such a cute little town with lots of restaurants and shops.

I thought this nightgown would look SUPER hot on me. Don't you agree?


The first day, we saw the grand canyon IMAX movie. After lunch, we went for a little hike down the canyon. I let the kids sleep in the car with my mom, for fear that they would fall over the edge. It was so beautiful and amazing to see! It does not even look good in the pictures that I took. You have to see it for yourself to get the true effect. That night, we went on a horse/hay ride down to a fire pit. There, we cooked hot dogs and s'mores and had a great time.


The next day, we went to the town of Williams. I am really into route 66 towns. In fact, one of my dreams is to take the old route 66 road all the way from Chicago to California. Maybe someday! Williams was such a cute town and reminded me of the movie, Cars. There were old cars getting lined up for the car show, people sitting out on the porches of the shops and cute little diners. I loved it and wish that we could have stayed longer. Too bad I enjoyed it more than everyone else and was outvoted to leave early.
As for the kids, their favorite part was swimming at the hotel. We had to do that every night we were there. Kennedy is getting pretty good at swimming on her own, and Liam has no fear of the water either. On the last night we were there, we went to a really good Steakhouse that served rattle snake. I wanted to order it, but they were all out as luck would have it! So, I got the ribs and some sarsaparilla. The only "sad" time at the grand canyon was when Liam got his toe hit by the hotel room door. It split his toe and about ripped the toenail off. His little foot was so sore and he did not want to wear shoes. To make it worse, the EXACT same thing happened the next night and split it open again. We had to go buy liquid bandages to close it up because there were no clinics around. Now, it's time for picture OVERLOAD!

Never mind...I have WAY too many pictures to load. I gave up!

No comments: